Academic Job Search Resources
The following resources are related to the academic job search. In addition to the links provided, watch for events coming up that are relevant to your search. And don’t forget, Career Coach, Linda Whited is available by appointment to help you in the job search process.
Work on your Individual Development Plan (IDP)
The American Association for the Advancement of Science website allows for self-assessment and creating career goals specifically for PhDs in the sciences to facilitate their academic career path and reach their goals.
Search for opportunities
- Network. Build your professional network through informational interviewing. Not sure what to ask? Here is a list of questions to help you prepare.
- Research institutions
- Create search agents on niche websites such as:
Evaluate your offers. Consider your budget and where your money goes. create a free account on Cash Course using your WFU email address. On Cash Course, compare job offers and analyze where your paycheck goes. Research cost of living in your target geographic location.
- Applying for a PostDoc Job: 18 tips for a successful application
- 10 Simple Rules for Selecting a Postdoctoral Position
- Rules of the Job Talk
- Delivering a Dynamic Job and Chalk Talk