Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The GRE is not a Graduate School requirement for admission, however, it may be required by your program of study. Please see the GRE By Program tab above to view the test requirement by department.
If you will be submitting a GRE, please enter your GRE scores on the online application. Unofficial test reports should be uploaded into the online application for the review process. If you no longer have your official test report from ETS, you can log into your ETS account and take a screen shot of your scores to upload. Tests taken after an application has been submitted will need to be sent to the Graduate School as an email attachment, so that they may be added to your online application. Official scores will ONLY be required if an offer of admission has been made and accepted by the student. All official GRE scores will need to be received directly from the Educational Testing Service.
Though the WFU Graduate School does not have a minimum test score for the GRE, we look for a combined score of 300-302 (50th percentile) on the Verbal and Quantitative sections and 4.0 or greater in the Analytical Writing section, achieving less does not disqualify you from further consideration.
The GRE is administered by the Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6000, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6000. Usually these examinations are taken in the fall of the applicant’s undergraduate senior year. Information is available on the web at www.gre.org.
International Language Requirements (TOEFL / IELTS)
International students who did not graduate from colleges or universities within the U.S. and whose native language is not English must submit EITHER the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) OR the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
The minimum total for the IBT TOEFL and the Special Home Edition is a score of 79. The minimum score on the IELTS is 6.5.
Copies of unofficial TOEFL or IELTS test reports may be attached to the online application and used for the review process. If your student report is not available, please self-report your test scores (by category) on the online application. Official TOEFL or IELTS scores will be required if an offer of admission has been made and accepted by the student. All official test scores will need to be received directly from the Educational Testing Services (TOEFL) or IELTS.
- The TOEFL bulletin of information and registration form can be obtained at American embassies and consulates, offices of the United States Information Service, United States educational commissions and foundations abroad, and at bi-national centers. Students unable to obtain a bulletin from one of the above should write to: Test of English as a Foreign Language, P.O. Box 6155, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6155, USA or contact the website,
www.toefl.org. Administrations of TOEFL are coordinated with the GRE and are available in most countries. Correspondence should be initiated at least three months before the testing date.
The TOEFL Special Home Edition is also accepted.
Additional information can be viewed at: ets.org – Testing at Home and Other Options
- IELTS is jointly managed by the British Council, IDP:IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. The IELTS is available at 270 test centers worldwide. To obtain information regarding this test and the centers, please visit www.ielts.org.
GRE REQUIREMENTS – Applicants may choose to include GRE scores when applying to GRE optional programs. If you include a GRE with your online application for the review process, official scores will be required upon acceptance to the program.
- Bioethics – GRE Optional – please view Bioethics website for details. (GRE not required for BS/BA and MA in Bioethics)
- Biology – GRE Not Required
- Chemistry – GRE Not Required
- Communication – GRE Not Required
- Computer Science – GRE Not Required
- Counseling (On-Campus) – GRE Not Required
- Counseling (On-Line) – GRE Not Required
- Documentary Film – GRE Not Required
- Education – GRE Optional
- English – GRE Not Required
- Health and Exercise Science – GRE is optional for 2022-23
- Interpreting and Translation Studies – GRE Optional (but may be requested by the department)
- Liberal Arts Studies – GRE Optional
- Mathematics – GRE Optional
- Physics – GRE Optional
- Psychology – GRE Optional
- Religious Studies – GRE Optional
- Statistics – GRE Required
- Sustainability – GRE Optional
Please use the appropriate code below when requesting score reports.
From the Educational Testing Services (ETS):
|Test||Campus / Program||Code|
From the International English Language Testing System (IELTS):
IELTS (E-Delivery): Wake Forest University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Click to expand each section.
Apply Online Today
- Arts & Sciences (Reynolda Campus) Programs
- Biomedical Sciences (School of Medicine Campus) Programs